Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Candy Men

Do you ever go out searching for a neighborly chat, and find your neighbors making giant vats of candy on their roof that has an amazing view?
Ram Hari (father of my host household) asked if I wanted to visit some neighbors, so we walked down the road a bit and across the street, and up onto the roof, where two men were making batch after batch of Pustakari, a coconutty molassesy sweet.
This guy (Vikram,...I think) is stirring a big pan of mixed sugar, Khoa, peanut powder and coconut powder into a brown gooey batter.
He proved his hardcoreness by holding this ball of molten glass with his bare hands.      Just kidding. That's super thick pure glucose syrup that he then dumped in the candy mix.
The goo gets flopped out onto a flattened plastic sack...
...then rolled and cut into bite sized squares.
After drying, the candy gets broken into squares and sold by the Kg.

 This post is a shoutout to my grandpa Ed Alderfer, who was a candy man with a serious talent for peanut brittle.


4 comments:

  1. I love this blog for realsies. That candy sounds yummy and I'd kill for an experience like that! You're like Rick Steves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to prepare pustakari in my home. But dont have much idea. I want to connect with the guy above and communicate with him to prepare pustakari. Let me know if i can connect with him. mukund.pranami@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to prepare it at home. I want it's receipe. How can the candy made harder

    ReplyDelete