Thursday, September 9, 2010

Moi je joue

And now what you've all been waiting for.

ME!

Maxin' out by the river underneath that bridge from the last post!

Cheers to the Himalayan Watershed!

I have two weeks left of language lessons at Kathmandu International Study Centre (KISC) and then I'll start work in earnest at the Rural Institution for Community Development (RICOD).
Acronyms....

Last night I went for the second time to Astrek Climbing Wall, which is an outdoor (though protected from rain) climbing gym that is frequented by some of the expats here. It's a nice wall. Tall, with a good variety of problems, and it feels great to finally be back on a climbing wall after my foot injury last year!

"what?" you say?  www.lisfrancinjury.wordpress.com

My host family here are great, and they love helping me with my Nepali, which is a double boost for actually learning to speak it in a timely fashion. There are also some very cute little children in the family, and an aquarium with some excellent fish in it, and some GREAT views off the verandah, which I am still planning to upload pictures of later.

My typical daily schedule:
Wake up at 7:30, drink some tea.
Read for a while (Just finished Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, it was mind blowing).
Eat Daal Bhat around 9:30.
Read for awhile or do some Nepali Homework (The word for 'read' can also mean 'study' in Nepalese: paDhnu)
Cycle downhill across crazy roads and in crazy motorcycle/bus/ bike trailer/semi traffic while blasting a good pump-up soundtrack in my 'phones, into Kathmandu.
Language lessons from 1-4.
Cycle back (uphill....so...far...6ish miles) to my host household.
Read for awhile.
Eat Daal Bhat at around 8.
Chill out, watch TV, play snake on my phone....whatever, until bedtime.
Usually watch a 30 Rock rerun on my computer before bed.
Wake up and do it again.

My life is good. I have lots of time to play.

Moi je joue is a song by Brigitte Bardot that Catie Gliwa put on a mix CD for me before I left.
Other common songs on my daily playlists:
Electric Feel -Justice Remix
Be Here Now- Mason Jennings
The Gentlest Hammer-Mason Jennings
Hammerstrike-Lotus
Drops of Jupiter-Train
Chunk of Change  (full album)-Passion Pit

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving on your photos Chase, and am pretty jel of the landscape you got going on. Keep on keeping on.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase. I love this picture of you, and how your voice on your blog sounds like your voice in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete