Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tools Matter


My Macbook Pro quit its job this week, and during the few days between when it stopped working and when I took it to the repair place, I felt a surprising sense of relief...that the computer was out of my life for a while.
When I first got this computer, it was shipped to my dad's office so it wouldn't be stolen off our porch or something. I remember feeling euphoric and breathy when I finally got my hands on it, and rode the elevator back down to the office block's main floor thinking of all the projects I was going to do with it. I could make music with it. Electronic music. (I had failed to master an instrument.) I could make music videos and web sites. I could finally learn to animate. Now that I could compute anywhere I'd basically be living my creative dream during every waking hour.
Fast forward almost five years, to last week, the day before my computer stopped working. I watched six episodes of Gossip Girl on DVD that day, on my laptop. The endless creative possibilities offered by my laptop had been overruled by some horrible, sexified Stepford teens on teevee. When my computer broke, the weight of all that "creative potential," (and all that teevee that needed watchin',) was magically lifted. I was able to look around and ponder what I should really do, with what I had, where I was.
New creative tools always give me goose bumps.
"With this, I'll make something awesome!" I always tell myself.
...and then, whatever-unit-of-time later...I find myself staggering under the guilt of not having actually done as much as I had imagined I would.
I have misconceived the relationship between tools and creativity. Tools can't make me create. By being creative, I make space in my life for tools.
Inevitably, after pretending for too long that I'll become a productive, creative genius if I buy the right...markers...sketchpad...software...computer...I have to dig myself out from under my pile of tools and their weighty potentials and decide, without the help of inanimate objects, what I should actually do.

The above cartoon's caption comes from a Twitter exchange I had with Hugh MacLeod. I was gushing about these pens that I really want (which he draws his cartoons with), and I said "Tools Matter."

He said, "Yeah... Until they don't."

Creative processes get easier with tools. But the real creative spirit can use any raw material to make something great.

I am constantly forgetting and relearning this.

4 comments:

  1. oh man. true that.
    my mother came and visted me and brought me this medium i needed to make my acrylics work. i really really really needed it. my parents left about a month ago, and my medium and acrylics are still hanging out un-used in my closet.

    apathy bring to naught the creative mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tools matter; tools rule, as well. The old saying "having a hammer makes everything look like a nail" is true. "Having a computer makes everything....?" Sometimes my computer feels like another self-of-me. So working on it all the time, I can feel "beside myself." Most of the time, it's a great writing/creating tool; but beware fragmentation of self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... but gossip girl IS awesome, in it's own disgusting way.

    :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. That little code I had to type in to post that last comment was "chash." So very similar to "chase."

    ReplyDelete