Tuesday, November 9, 2010

all i ever wanted

This is a cartoon I drew in homage to the style of Hugh MacLeod, aka @gapingvoid, one of my favorite cartoonists. Hugh MacLeod's website is www.gapingvoid.com
Hugh MacLeod writes a lot about having Smarter Conversations. As someone who has just graduated from college with a Journalism degree (try monetizing that right out of school these days), I've been doing a lot of thinking about how to have a smarter conversation with myself. A smarter inner monologue, really, and one that will allow me to be and feel productive without getting overwhelmed.
I am constantly flush with Ideas. There are millions of ways that I can think of to put my skills to use in Nepal, and infinite projects to embark upon that would hopefully, eventually, help somebody. Almost all of them feel impossible to actually accomplish. Many would take a lifelong commitment, or so it seems.
So I often feel defeated before even beginning to work on something.
That's what this cartoon is about. Homing in on something. Putting some things on hold so that all of my energy can be here and now and be used in the most relationship building, productive way possible.

I don't remember if I read the sentence "All I ever wanted to do was everything," somewhere, or if it just came to me. If I ripped it off from somewhere....erm...sorry? Creative Commons...?

Check out the companion cartoon to this one: "You Don't Need More Time...."

3 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes yes yes.

    Love the cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inner dialog is vital. An awakening is occuring! Go for it! Like the cartoon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Katmandu Diet, I am in a Brazil Diet - for 40 years...I mean: i live here. Greate to read about you. I frequently feel lost in ideas also, and i am learning (i believe) to better navigate through them.

    ReplyDelete