Saturday, March 5, 2011

Platonic Form


Hugh MacLeod (@gapingvoid) just tweeted "People think 'success' exists out there in the ether, like some Platonic form. It doesn't."

I do so much reading about how to succeed, and by succeed, I mean make goals and then reach them within some reasonable timeframe (if there is such a thing as reasonable.) Ultimately, none of the reading helps at all, unless, in a moment when I am on the fence, it pushes me to make a decision...to translate an amorphous 'goal' in my mind into a schedule, a set of activities, and a plan. Whether I reach the actual goal in the end doesn't necessarily determine whether I have succeeded. But there is no possibility of success at all unless I drag it out of the "Platonic form" state, and into reality.

Thanks for the continued inspiration Hugh.

P.S. As of this posting, Hugh's tweet is only about half an hour old. Am I quick on the draw (and on the pun) or what?

3 comments:

  1. What is in the background of that photo? it looks like some kind of animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to link to a Hugh MacLeod-esque drawing of your own within an entry featuring a Hugh MacLeod-esque drawing than you did, haha. (I really mean it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhh...is the background to your pic Kim-chee fur??? I think I recognize those stripes...ha ha

    ReplyDelete